That's a lot of competition!
Hootsuite is ofering the following:
- Six Podium courses and 40 videos, for free -- These short, tactical videos offer tips and strategies on the fundamentals of social media marketing, including content marketing and social advertising
- A self-paced education experience -- Online and on-demand, students can learn at their own pace
- A community forum -- Ask questions and learn from other experienced professionals
- Hootsuite Certification in Social Media Marketing -- Recognized credentials from the industry leader in social media
- Listing in public Social Media Professionals directory -- Certified professionals gain visibility with prospective employers and clients
Free education is always good in my book. As someone that's extremely comfortable with social media and its foibles, I think it's a positive thing to help others understand it a little better.
It's obviously a good move for Hootsuite too, as its bread and butter is in social media management. Happy students = more clients.
I'm curious to see what the certification entails and how much stead that will have with prospective employers down the road when people announce they are a "Social Media Professional" in a job interview. Seems you have to pay from US$199-US$2,200 for those certifications.
Money well spent? Will keep an eye on that one.
There's already some testimonials from users who were given early access, including a lulelemon employee who started the Social Media Marketing Certification in June 2015.
If you're keen to dive in, here's the sign-up page.